This Facebook and Instagram ads FAQ has been put together to help you find answers on what works, what doesn’t, whether or not it makes sense to outsource your ads, and more.
If you’re interested in learning more about how to use Facebook and Instagram ads effectively, this FAQ can help you decide on an approach for your next campaign.
Are Facebook Ads Worth it?
- If you want to use Facebook to reach a wider audience, generate new leads and convert more customers – Facebook ads are 100% worth it.
- It’s the world’s third most visited website, behind only by Google and YouTube. If someone is online, the chances are that they’ll visit Facebook. If they don’t, they’ll probably visit Instagram, which is owned by – you guessed it – Facebook (or Meta, if you’re keeping track).
- The reach Facebook gives advertisers is unparalleled, and it’ll likely stay this way for a long time.
Are Facebook Ads Dead?
- Absolutely not! Marketing hasn’t changed. There are some adjustments you need to make but the foundational concepts of marketing are the same (which is always how we’ve built our campaigns.)
- To this day, Facebook remains one of the least expensive providers of ad space. It allows you to reach the same amount of people at a fraction of the cost of Google Ads and Facebook ads give you the opportunity to reach your audience at any part in their customer journey, which can deliver long term profits for your business.
How Do Facebook Ads Work?
- More than 1.9 billion people use Facebook daily, and more than 30 million businesses have active Pages.
- Facebook ads are designed to help businesses reach the right people with the right messages.
- As an advertiser on Facebook, you can create campaigns to achieve specific business goals such as getting people to click to your website or to buy a product.
- Facebook’s advertising platform allows you to be hyper-specific in your ad targeting has advanced ad creative capabilities so you can build compelling advertisements.
- When people are on Facebook or Instagram, they may see your ad based on a number of targeting factors.You can also track specific actions taken by people related to your ad so that you can optimize your campaigns to get the best results.
- The basic elements that make up an ad campaign:
- Ad Creative: The ad image and text that shares your message with your ideal audience
- Targeting: The audience you’re targeting the ad to
- Placement: Place where the ad appears
- Bid: Amount you’re willing to pay so customers will see your ad and take the desired action
- Budget: Amount you want to spend for your ad campaign
- Schedule: Length of time your ad will run
- Optimization: What you want the algorithm to look for
How Do Facebook Ads Help Course Creators?
- Facebook ads for course creators help you get new eyes on your business without having to manually go out and find them as you would with organic methods (using hashtags on social media, doing speaking events, etc.)
- Facebook ads allow you to micro target your exact ideal customer as well as to target people who took specific actions when engaging with your business like visiting a certain website or making a specific purchase. Facebook also offers you access to one of the largest audiences in the world with their interest and lookalike audience tools, allowing you to reach way more people than you ever could with organic marketing methods.
- Compared to larger marketing channels Facebook ads can be affordable and low cost (you set your own budget.) They also offer the highest retail ROAS for any social platform
- Facebook offers ads for your specific business goals, no matter where you are in your business journey.
- The Facebook ads platform allows you to A/B test more pieces of your marketing campaign than any other platform in order to support performance growth. The ads platform also allows you to track in such detail that you can see things like which ads most people clicked on, which targeting options cause people to purchase the highest value, and more.
How Do I Find a Facebook Ads Mentor?
- The best way to find a Facebook Ads mentor is to first determine what your goal is with running ads. From there you can research in a few ways (ideas shared below) and should look for someone/an agency that:
- Understands how your business works, your niche, and has runs ads for your type of business before
- Can share results they’ve delivered for others
- Has positive testimonials
- Is willing to answer any questions you have about working together clearly & directly
- And finally, doesn’t promise you specific results or overnight success (this is not guaranteed with Facebook Ads, so if someone does this…run!)
- Places to find a Facebook Ads mentor:
- Here! We run Facebook & Instagram ads for online course creators and deliver our clients amazing results!
- Ask people in your industry you trust
- Google Search
- Facebook Groups
- By using hashtags on social media (Instagram, Tiktok, Facebook, etc.)
How Much Do Facebook Ads for Courses Cost?
|Type of Ad
|Video View (advertising a REEL, social media video
|$.1-.5 / 3-second view
|$5-$10 / day / ad set
|Traffic (advertising a blog post, podcast, etc.)
|$.50-$2 / click
|$5-$15 / day / ad set
|Lead Generation (advertising a free download or class to grow your email list)
|$2 – $15 / lead
|$20-$40 / day / ad set
|Depends on course price
|2-3x your course price / month
Which Facebook Ads Are the Most Effective?
- This is very dependent on your marketing system and your goals with ads.
- Frist, you need a strong marketing system which includes a product that people want, an offer that is attractive, a funnel that converts people, and a follow up system for people that are not ready to buy right away.
- Here are the best ad campaign types for different business goals
- Brand awareness: Reach, traffic, or video view campaigns. This allows you to discover your business at a low cost to you.
- Email list growth: A conversion campaign optimized for leads is best. This tells the algorithm to ‘find you’ people that are likely to join your email list.
- Sales: A conversion campaign optimized for purchases. While this sounds like the most ideal thing to start with, it is the most expensive which is why many people start with other campaigns and work their way up over time
Which Facebook Ads Perform Best?
Ads that are built strategically. You need to deeply know your ideal audience and have a product they want. Then you need to come up with marketing messages and visuals that attract the right people. You also want to target specifically by using Facebook’s audience tools. Finally, you need to know how to test, track, & optimize your campaigns to generate the best results over time.
Who Can I Target with Facebook Ads?
- Location: Reach people based on country, state or province, current city or zip code
- Age and Gender: Narrow your audience based on age and gender
- Language: Target your ads to specific languages
- Behaviors: Reach people based on purchase behaviors or intents, device usage and more
- Connections: Reach people who are connected to your business’s Facebook Page, app, event or their friends
- Engagement: Target people that engage with your social media or watch videos you post
- Custom Audience: Create your ideal audience using pixels, email addresses, phone numbers
- Lookalike Audience: Reach people who are similar to your audience(s)
- Interests: Facebook allows you to choose interests your audience has as a targeting option so you can find new people based on things they’ve shown interest in
Why Did Facebook Reject the Ads for My Course?
- There are a number of reasons why your ad might be rejected. Whenever your ad is rejected, Facebook will give you an error message, make sure to check this and look for specific details of what you might need to adjust in order to get your ad approved.
- One of the most common reasons your ad could be rejected is that Facebook has a long list of restricted and prohibited content in its policies. The restricted content is allowed but you must follow certain rules, often based on your locale. Prohibited content is never allowed on Facebook.
Should I Hire Someone to Run My Facebook Ads?
- I used to tell people anyone could run their own Facebook ads, but that was before the iOS update. Now I think it takes a special kind of person to see good results running ads for themselves, so I highly recommend you get some kind of support when it comes to running Facebook & Instagram ads.
- If you’re a 6 figure entrepreneur/course creator who’s grown a business using strictly organic marketing, no ads…Congrats!!! That’s a big accomplishment! That means you’re super dialed in on your audience and your offers. But –
- While it’s tempting to think you’ll never need to work with an ad agency like EHM, let’s consider what you’ll get if you choose to work with one on your way to 7 figures.
- Ease back in your business: It’s not just you, your admin, or various contractors trying to navigate the ever-changing ad waters. You’ve got a dedicated, expert ads team ready to focus on completely dialing in your ads and helping you scale!
- That means you can spend less time working on or worrying about your ads… while still enjoying the benefits of the ads.
- Income: Obviously, I’ll never promise any specific results, but some of our clients hit their revenue stretch goals MUCH faster than they ever dreamed (direct quote from one of our clients: “making my entire salary in a couple of weeks”) And, in many cases, it doesn’t require much more work on your team’s end to make it happen.
- More visibility: You know your audience, that’s for sure. But your ads will target different audiences that you could never reach on your own. This means that you’ll get even MORE eyes on your offers, business, and brand. And if you’ve got everything dialed in with your sales funnel & course driving more traffic will be your fast track to generating profit you never thought possible!
Will Facebook Ads Show Up on Instagram?
- You can run both Facebook & Instagram ads from the same Facebook ads manager platform. When creating your ads, choose Instagram placements on the ad set level and your ads will show on both platforms (or just Instagram if you want that).
- It’s a good idea to test ads on both Facebook and Instagram for the following reasons: Optimized delivery: The algorithm works best with more people to choose from (as long as your targeting and ads are strategic.)
Should I Outsource My Facebook Ads?
- Are you willing to learn & be patient?
- Are you okay figuring out tech issues?
- Do you like to write conversion copy or create digital images & videos?
- Do you enjoy doing it?
- If you answered yes to any of these questions, try running them yourself!
- Running ads could take 10-15 hours a week and there is a lot of building, testing, tracking, & analyzing involved. It’s a continuous process. If you’re a busy business owner it does make sense to outsource your ads, but if you’re on a budget and have the time, you can try running the ads yourself.
Are you struggling to create or scale your Facebook ads?
Still have questions or comments after reviewing the Facebook and Instagram ads FAQ?
Fill out the form and let's talk!